James Fitzgerald (03/08/1899-04/09/1971) was born in Boston, Massachusetts. He served in the United States Marine Corps from 1918 until 1919, and then studied at the Massachusetts School of Art. In 1923 he boarded the fishing vessel "Elizabeth Howard" and headed for the Grand Banks. Between 1923 and 1924 he studied at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. In 1925 Fitzgerald opened his own studio in Boston. In 1928 he moved to Monterey, California, where he bought a piece of land and built a studio the following year. Soon thereafter, Fitzgerald became associated with the Cannery Row circle. He married Margaret Mather in 1931. In 1936-7 he painted two murals for public works projects. In 1943 he moved to Monhegan Island Maine and was divorced the next year. In 1948 Fitzgerald began to make yearly painting trips to Mount Katahdin in Maine, and he spent his winters making decorative gilding in New York City. Fitzgerald bought a studio owned by Rockwell Kent, and in 1958 he moved into a cottage built by Rockwell Kent. He traveled to London, Dublin, the Aran Islands, Wales, and Cobh, Ireland in 1965 and 1966. Between 1967 and 1971 he continued to travel throughout Europe and overseas. Fitzgerald died on Aranmore Island in 1971, and is buried in Dublin, Ireland. His works are in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and the Portland Museum of Art in Maine.
Other works by: James Fitzgerald