The Collectors’ Circle is dedicated to increasing their own knowledge of American art and fine-art collecting while also growing the Museum’s Permanent Collection through annual purchases from an acquisition fund created by yearly dues.
Collectors’ Circle events, elegant social and educational gatherings centered on collecting, are held 2-3 times throughout the year ending with an annual Year-End Selection Dinner. Dependent on space limitations, guests may be permitted at events and programs for a pre-determined fee.
Join the Collectors’ Circle
- Join at the $1,000 Individual level with 1 vote
- Join at the $1,500 Couple/Dual level with 1.5 votes
- Join at the $2,000 Couple/Dual level with 2 votes
For more information and to join, please call (828) 253-3227.
2016 acquisitions to the Permanent Collection made possible by the generosity of Collectors’ Circle Members, as well as Individual Members
Artwork shown in order below the citations:
- Jamie Baldridge, Group of 3 photographs from the Belle Epoque series, 2009-2011: The Hindenburg Signal Ballet; Brownian Motion; Phrases from a Broken Language, pigment prints on Hahnemühle PhotoRag, 22.75 x 22.75 inches, edition 5 of 15 (edition 6 of 12 for Hindenburg Signal Ballet). Museum purchase with funds provided by the Nat C. Myers Photography Fund.
- Thomas Hart Benton, The Woodpile, nd, Lithograph, edition of 250, 12 x 15.875 inches. Museum purchase with funds provided by an anonymous donor.
- Elizabeth Colwell, Winter Scene, 1911, Color woodblock print, signed and dated, 5.5 x 6.5 inches. Museum purchase with funds provided by Jim Wilson & Lynne Poirier-Wilson and M.J. Teaford & R.K. Benites.
- Shan Goshorn, basket (a work to be commissioned work by a contemporary Cherokee artist) — image below is an example of artist’s work. 2016 Collectors’ Circle purchase with additional funds provided by 2016 Collectors’ Circle members Gail and Brian McCarthy.
- Newcomb College Pottery decorated by Anna Frances Simpson, Vase Moon/Tammany Pine Trees, 1930, Ceramic, 9.25 inches. Museum purchase with funds provided by 2016 Collectors’ Circle members Nat and Anne Burkhardt.
- Esteban Vicente, Peace (from the Peace Portfolio), 1970, Color Lithograph, 26 x 21 inches Edition 45/175. Museum purchase with funds provided by 2016 Collectors’ Circle members Russell and Ladene Newton.
- Mickalene Thomas, Interior: Zebra with Two Chairs and Funky Fur, 2014, relief, intaglio, lithography, digital, collage, enamel paint, gold leaf, colored pencil, 43 x 53 inches, edition 22/24, 2016 Collectors’ Circle purchase with additional funds provided by 2016 Collectors’ Circle members Cherry and Paul Lentz Saenger.