Harold Altman (1924-2004) was born in New York City. He was an etcher, painter, and teacher. He attended the Art Students League, 1941-42 and Cooper Union, 1941-47. In 1946, Altman attended Black Mountain College, North Carolina and then studied at The New School, New York City 1947-49 and finished his extensive art education at the L'Academie de la Grande Chaumiere in Paris 1949-52. He taught at a number of institutions including: New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University (1952-54), Assistant Professor; University of North Carolina, Greensboro (1954-56), Assistant Professor; University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee (1956-62), Professor; Pennsylvania State University (1962-1976), Professor Emeritus; Pennsylvania State University (1978-2003). From 1962 until his death he lived in the central Pennsylvanian village of Lemont, where a nineteenth century frame church served as his studio. His work is in the collection of the Butler Institute of American Art ,Youngstown, OH, Cincinnati Art Museum, De Cordova Museum and Sculpture Park Lincoln, MA, Dulin Gallery of Art, Knoxville, TN, Cambridge, MA, the Georgia Museum of Art and the Minnesota Museum of American Art.