Beverly Buchanan (1940- ) was born in Fuquay, NC and raised in Orangeburg, SC. She was a medical technologist for the Veteran’s Administration in the Bronx and then a health educator for the East Orange Health Department. In 1971 she attended art classes at the Art Student’s League in NY leading to her first solo exhibition at the Cinque Gallery NY in 1972. By 1977 she settled in Georgia to devote full attention to art. Buchanan’s early sculpture demonstrated an innate interest in the architecture of poverty. Made of cast concrete, clay, pigment and other materials, these primeval, block like forms conveyed a sense of archaeological ruin and mystery. Buchanan’s art gradually evolved from abstract, organic forms into the expressionistic, representational works she executes today. Her sculptures are based, in part, on the sharecropper shacks that can be found along the back roads of the rural South. Buchanan’s sculpture and drawings challenge the icons of hopelessness; they are elegies that salute the integrity, resilience and resolution of man. In 1980 she was awarded fellowships from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts. Her work is in the collections of Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, Carnegie Museum of Art, PA, Columbia Museum of Art, Columbia, SC, High Museum of Art, GA, and the Tubman African American Museum, GA.