George Sugarman (1912-1999) was born in New York City. He earned a BA from the City College of New York. He lived in Paris from 1951 to 1956, studying at the Atelier Zadkine between 1955 and 1956. Sugarman's sculpture is part of many public and private collections around the globe, including the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum Schloss Marberg in Germany, the Kunstmuseum Basel in Switzerland and the Stadtiches Museum in Germany. His early abstract works were generally executed in wood and were reminiscent of Cubism. Sugarman would carve the wood in asymmetrical shapes and suspend the pieces horizontally, emphasizing the space between shapes. His later works in wood were painted in bright colors and have been likened to Abstract Expressionist paintings. In later works, Sugarman made metal sculptures that he painted with acrylics. According to him, the combination of metal and paint, "...forms a bridge between painting and sculpture." Since the 1970s, he has produced large scale outdoor works, often created as commissions. Sugarman has been commissioned to create pieces for Xerox Data Systems, the International Building at the Miami Airport and the Brussels World Trade Center. He taught at Hunter College from 1960 to 1970 and at the Graduate School of Art and Architecture at Yale University from 1967 to 1968. Retrospectives of Sugarman's work have been mounted at the Kunsthalle in Basel, the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, Nebraska (c. 1981) and the Whitney Museum of American Art (1985).