Joseph Fulop (6/24/1898-08/01/1983) was born in Hungary. He studied both in Budapest and in Paris. Fulop served as a Cultural Attaché with the Royal Hungarian embassy in Washington, Lisbon, and Madrid. He was a professor of art at the National Art Academy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. In 1956 he emigrated to the United States, and was head of the art department at Goddard Collage in Planfield, Vermont, from 1957-1969. His art has been exhibited in Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, and Vermont, and his paintings and sculptures are in collections in Madrid, Paris, Vermont, New York City, and several South American countries. Fulop moved to Asheville, North Carolina in 1970 after his retirement. He moved to Highland Farms in 1975 after the death of his wife Mounia Andre Fulop.