Art Travels: London, England (November 6-13, 2016)
We will enjoy seven days and nights of art and architecture, plus time to explore on your own. Included in the trip are first-class accommodations at the charming Stafford Hotel, a boutique hotel in the heart of London in St. James Place; deluxe motorcoach and/or private van for all group activities; entrance/guide fees at our destinations; plus a daily full English breakfast, four lunches, three dinners, and one English tea.
Highlights of this trip include:
- A welcome dinner and sightseeing cruise along the River Thames on Bateaux London’s Harmony or similar.
- A guided day trip to Brighton, the storied seaside resort town renowned for its diverse communities, quirky shopping areas, and large cultural, music, and arts scene. En route, we will stop for a garden and archives tour of the Cass Sculptural Foundation, a pioneering nonprofit that inspires, enables, and presents the output of some of the most important figures in contemporary sculpture.
- A walking tour of the best street art London has to offer in the heart of Shoreditch, gateway to London’s East End. Street artists from London’s East End, the UK, and around the world leave an ever-changing kaleidoscope of energy and creativity on the walls of Shoreditch, home to a vibrant and colorful culture of street art, murals, cafes, bars, galleries, restaurants, fashion, and markets.
- A day spent exploring the history of London, England’s capital and most populous city, founded by the Romans over two millennia ago. Hold on to your hat at the Tower of London, which during its 1000-year history has served as a royal residence, prison, armory, treasury, menagerie, mint, public records office, and home of the Crown Jewels of England. We will also visit Kensington Palace and Gardens – and hope to catch a glimpse of the glamorous royals who call it home!
As with all our Art Travels, we will visit museums to see both venerated collections and world-class special exhibitions. No trip to London would be complete without a tour of the Victoria & Albert Museum, where we will get an inside look at the scandalous exhibition Undressed: A Brief History of Underwear. At the Tate Modern, we will be among the first to view The Radical Eye: Modernist Photography from the Sir Elton John Collection, an exhibition opening November 10. For a quirky twist, we will stop at Sir John Soane’s Museum, a historic house and library left untouched since its eponymous owner’s death almost 200 years ago: an extraordinary collection of curiosities, antiquities, furniture, sculptures, architectural models and drawings, and paintings including work by Hogarth, Turner, and Canaletto.
In addition to these great museums, we are finalizing visits to galleries – including cutting edge contemporary art at Whitechapel Gallery, Saatchi Gallery, and White Cube – private collections, and artist studios. As is customary with our trips, there are culture-rich days punctuated by cocktails, delicious meals, and more.
The land-only price of this travel opportunity is $6260 per person (based on double occupancy) which includes hotel taxes and VAT, an £85 one-time food and beverage credit at the hotel restaurant, and a group departure transfer on November 13 to London’s Heathrow Airport. For those who prefer a room to themselves, there is an optional single supplement of $2010. Several direct flights are available daily from Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA, or connecting flights through Asheville.
We are still accepting registrations for this exciting travel experience! There are three easy ways to sign up:
- Register online below
- Call Kristi McMillan at 828.253.3227
- Print, complete, and return a registration form with check by August 20
Please feel free to call Pam Myers, Executive Director, at 828.253.3227 for specific details as well!
Upgrades (subject to availability and at additional cost) to junior suite or suite accommodations and/or additional hotel nights can be booked at your request. Please call 800.301.3993 x7484 or email Susan Holden.
Terms and conditions
Your payment of a deposit for participation on this tour constitutes your acceptance of these conditions:
- Cancellation/refund: Cancellation from time of deposit to August 20, 2016 will result in a cancellation fee of $1000 per person. Cancellations after final payment will result in 100% penalty unless space can be resold. There will be no refund for unused services or tickets once the tour begins. Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended and can be purchased separately. A form for trip cancellation insurance will be sent to you upon request.
- Responsibility: Protravel International, Inc., the Asheville Art Museum (herein known as the AAM), and their principals have contracted with independent contractors to provide accommodations, transportation, meals, or other services, and are not responsible for actions or omissions, casual or intentional, or any breach of contract which may occur on the part of a supplier that causes loss, delay, injury, or damage to the client or other tour members. If the client agrees to travel on this tour, the client assumes voluntarily any risks that accompany such travel, whether those risks are expected or not. Protravel, the AAM, and their principals are also not responsible for losses, damages, or injuries to tour members in connection with such things as diseases, weather, terrorism, social unrest, mechanical or construction problems, or any other omissions, actions, or situations outside their control. Tour members are warned here about those risks and might wish to purchase insurance coverage regarding them. Protravel, the AAM, and their principals use generally acceptable suppliers for their programs. The client agrees that they are not to blame should there be problems with arrangements and also agrees that any claims of damages must be sought from those suppliers directly. If the damages occur before or after the tour booking and travel period, Protravel, the AAM, and their principals shall be considered totally blameless. Pricing based on rates of exchange and local tax rates both domestic and international, as of May 4, 2016 and are subject to change.
Click the "View Cart" link to review your order and proceed to checkout:VIEW CART