Summer Art Camp 2016
Join the Asheville Art Museum for Summer Art Camp! Sessions are offered for rising kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
Students may sign up for morning, afternoon, or all-day sessions. All-day students will have a supervised lunch break. Classes are held in the studio of the Asheville Art Museum.
Cost for Museum Members is $100 for each half-day session (morning or afternoon), or $175 for each all-day session (morning and afternoon). Cost for non-members is $110 for each half-day session, or $195 for each all-day session.
Enrollment is limited; pre-registration is required. Registration includes admission to the Museum and all materials necessary for each class. To register online now, click here; if you prefer to download, print, and return a paper form, click here.
Not already a member or need to renew? Purchase a Family/Dual Membership now – enter coupon code Camp2016 at checkout for a $64 discounted membership!
For more information, email Sharon McRorie, Education Programs Manager, or call 828.253.3227 ext. 124.
Financial aid is provided by the Asheville Art Museum Camp Scholarship Fund and the Walnut Cove Members’ Association. For more information, please call 828.253.3227 ext. 124.
Would you like to contribute to the Camp Scholarship Fund? Click here to add $5, $10 or whatever amount you can afford to your total!
Week 1 | June 13 – 17 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Color Your World: Students will learn about the color wheel and the endless possibilities of color interactions. Students will create one-of-a-kind works of art using paint as well as other media to mix, match and create with color.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Art Party: Young artists will have fun while sharpening skills and broadening their artistic horizons. Students will explore a variety of techniques and media such as painting, drawing, collage, mixed media and more to create fun works of art!
Week 2 | June 20 – 24 | Grades 3 – 5
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Let’s Draw and Paint: Students will explore line, shape and color as they design one-of-a-kind compositions using a variety of materials and their imagination.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Art Adventure: Students will explore a variety of two-dimensional and three-dimensional materials and techniques such as drawing, painting, printmaking and sculpture to create fantastic masterpieces!
Week 3 | June 27 – July 1 | Grades 6 – 8
Week 3 is sold out. Please email Sharon McRorie, Education Programs Manager, or call 828.253.3227 x124 to add your camper’s name to the waiting list.
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Off the Wall: Students will experiment with various media as they use their imagination to create unique sculptures and relief compositions. We will explore the sculptural qualities and useful techniques for working with papier-mâché, plaster, wire, paper, mixed media, found/recycled objects and more!
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Drawing, Painting + Mixed Media: Students will explore traditional and non-traditional media including drawing, painting, printmaking and mixed-media processes to create original works of art. It will be a fun-filled, fast-paced week of opportunities to combine great ideas with some new techniques!
Week 4 | July 11 – 15 | Grades 3 – 5
Week 4 is sold out. Please email Sharon McRorie, Education Programs Manager, or call 828.253.3227 x124 to add your camper’s name to the waiting list.
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Re-use It: Think twice before you discard an object! Anything can find a new use when it becomes part of a work of art. Students will explore art concepts using new and recycled materials to construct two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of art.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Draw a Story: From animation to illustration, young artists will learn how to use art to tell a story. Students will create a range of art from thaumatropes to flip-books using traditional and non-traditional drawing techniques.
Week 5 | July 18 – 22 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Arts Extravaganza: For the student who wants to try it all! Students will create two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of art including drawings, paintings and sculptures. The possibilities are endless, and so is the fun!
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Puppetry + Masks: Students will use their creative ideas as well as a variety of media to explore the art of puppetry and mask-making. We will use papier-mâché, sculpture techniques and much more to create unique puppets and masks.
Week 6 | July 25 – 29 | Grades 9 – 12
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Sculpture: Students will explore a range of materials to create three-dimensional works of art. We will examine and design geometric, abstract and organic forms with materials such as papier-mâché, plaster, wire, foam, cardboard and found objects. Students will learn how to manipulate these materials and use tools for additive and subtractive methods of modeling. Final works of art will range in size from miniature to gigantic.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Drawing + Painting: Students will explore various techniques and applications of drawing and painting media such as graphite, pastel, charcoal, watercolor and acrylic. We will experiment with both traditional and non-traditional applications to develop a deeper understanding of the elements and principles of art.
Week 7 | August 1 – 5 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): People, Places + Animals: Students will explore two-dimensional and three-dimensional people, animals and the places they live using paint, printmaking, collage and more to create a range of colorful creations.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Mixed Up + Messy: Try it all! Students explore visual art through painting, drawing, sculpture and collage. Students are exposed to a broad range of ideas and art forms through an array of art materials. It’s good, messy fun!