Summer Art Camp 2017
Join the Asheville Art Museum for Summer Art Camp! Sessions are offered for rising kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
Sessions last one week (Monday through Friday). Students may sign up for morning, afternoon, or all-day sessions. All-day students will have a supervised lunch break. Classes are held in the studio at Asheville Art Museum On the Slope (175 Biltmore Avenue, Asheville 28801).
Cost for Museum Members is $100 for each half-day session (morning or afternoon), or $175 for each all-day session (morning and afternoon). Cost for non-members is $110 for each half-day session, or $195 for each all-day session.
Enrollment is limited; pre-registration is required. Registration includes all materials necessary for each class. To register online now, click here; if you prefer to complete and return a paper form, call 828.253.3227 x124.
Not already a member or need to renew? Purchase a Family/Dual Membership now – enter coupon code Camp2017 at checkout for a $64 discounted membership!
For more information, email Sharon McRorie, Education Programs Manager, or call 828.253.3227 x124.
Financial aid is provided by the Asheville Art Museum Camp Scholarship Fund and the Walnut Cove Members’ Association. For more information, please call 828.253.3227 x124.
Would you like to contribute to the Camp Scholarship Fund? Click here to add $5, $10 or whatever amount you can afford to your total!
Week 1 | June 12 – 16 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Art + Nature: Lines, shapes and color are found in plants, animals, rocks and throughout our natural world. Create both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional nature inspired art using a variety of drawing and painting materials.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Crazy About Color: Students explore how different kinds of artists use color. Students create one-of-a-kind works of art using paint as well as other media to mix, match and create with color.
Week 2 | June 19 – 23 | Grades 3 – 5
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Fun with Fiber: Students experiment with fiber by creatively using an assortment of techniques including dyeing, felting, resist and printing to create finished artwork.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Paper Possibilities: Students explore the limitless possibilities for creating with paper including surface embellishments, origami, paper sculpting, books and story tunnels.
Week 3 | June 26 – 30 | Grades 6 – 8
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Sculptural Books: Students explore the exciting process and limitless possibilities of surface embellishment and book arts. Students create one-of-a-kind decorative papers and handmade books including accordion, lotus, flag, room and tunnel books.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Drawing + Painting: Students explore traditional and non-traditional drawing and painting media to create original works of art. This fun-filled, fast-paced week of opportunities combines great ideas with some new techniques to make art.
Week 4 | July 10 – 14 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Exploring Art: Students explore great themes in art such as still life, landscape, portraits and more to create artworks using a range of media. Each student creates unique works of art.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Mixed-Media Madness: Young students have a blast getting messy while exploring different types of media including watercolor, tempera and acrylic paint and mixed media to create unique works of art.
Week 5 | July 17 – 21 | Grades 3 – 5
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Art + Nature: Lines, shapes and color are found in plants, animals, rocks and throughout our natural world. Students create 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional works of art inspired by nature using a variety of materials.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Printmaking + Mixed Media: Students explore the exciting process of printmaking and mixed media. Students experiment with stenciling, monoprinting, relief printing and other surface techniques to create one-of-a-kind artworks.
Week 6 | July 24 – 28 | Grades 9 – 12
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Bookbinding + Mixed Media: Students experiment with surface techniques and decorative papers to create a unique sketchbook that students use to experiment with various mixed-media applications.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Wearable Art: Students have an opportunity to experiment with a range of media and create one-of-a-kind wearable art including jewelry, fabric painting and knitting. They experiment with both traditional and nontraditional applications to develop a deeper understanding of the elements and principles of art.
Week 7 | July 31 – August 4 | Grades K – 2
- Morning (9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.): Art Adventure: Students experiment with a variety of art materials to create 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional works of art using paint, printmaking, collage and more to create a range of artwork.
- Afternoon (1:30 – 5:00 p.m.): Art Party: Young artists have fun while sharpening skills and broadening their artistic horizons. Students explore a variety of techniques and media such as painting, drawing, collage, mixed media and more to create fun works of art!
To register online now, click here; if you prefer to complete and return a paper form, call 828.253.3227 x124.