Carlos J. Anderson (1905-1978) was born in Midvale, Utah. He first studied art at the University of Utah, continuing his education at the Los Angeles Art Institute, the Arts Student League in New York, Ecole de Beaux-Arts and the Academie Julian in Paris, and in Berlin. While in Europe he exhibited in Stokholm, Nice, and Paris. Returning to the United States in 1933, he participated in the Works Progress Administration art program, receiving a government comission for a series of paintings and drawings of "places historically important" in Utah and 24 sketches. These excellent renderings are mostly of historical buildings, and some of these were used to illustrate programs for the Utah Symphony and are currently held by the Utah State Fine Arts Collection. As part of his WPA work, Anderson taught art at the Utah Arts Center. In 1937 he married M. Lewis Head, but they were later divorced. A W.P.A. printmaker and a painter in New York City, Carlos Anderson's work was exhibited at the Grand Central Art Galleries (New York City) in 1936 and at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1938. Soon after the start of WWII, Abbott Laboratories commisioned Anderson to depict medical subjects at the Stateside Naval Hospitals. Seventeen of these works are included in the Navy Art Collection. Other institutions holding works by Carlos Anderson are the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Princeton University Collection, the Brookland Museum Collection, the National Museum of American Art, the Utah State Fine Arts Collection, and the Springville Museum of Art. After the war Carlos Anderson moved from San Franscisco where he became associated with the San Franscisco Civic League. In his later years he drew illustrations for the Oakland Army Base. He died in Salt Lake City July 19, 1978. His work is largely based in Social Realism, but contains elements of abstraction. Often called the "American Scene" painter, Anderson reveled in recreating the urban landscape.
Other works by: Carlos Anderson