Event Category: Slow Art Friday
Is It Art? Part 4 – VIRTUAL
- Friday, December 11, 2020
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Free for Museum Members; $10 suggested donation for non-members
Join Steve Bennett and Hank Bovee, touring docents, for an interactive conversation about four artworks in our Collection and special exhibitions. Before the discussion, find a quiet space. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and let it out slowly. Now open your eyes, and engage with the artworks in the image gallery; click on the thumbnail for a larger image, and spend about 15 minutes looking slowly at each.
- Do you think that the artist intended for this object to have a specific function? If so, what?
- Is it art? Why or why not?
- If you owned this object, would you use it as a functional object, display it as an artwork, or both?
Slow Art Fridays
Monthly on second Fridays at 12pm, docents lead virtual, in-depth conversations about a few artworks in our Collection or special exhibitions. The goal is simple: slow down, discover the joy of looking at art, and talk about the experience with others. Topics, artworks, and self-guided questions are posted on the Museum's website in advance for participants, or for those wishing to have a self-guided experience on their own. For more information or to add your name to our Slow Art Fridays mailing list, click here or call 828.253.3227 x122.