Watch and Listen to:
Lines That Wiggle by Candace Whitman
Questions for Engagement
- What kinds of lines did you see in the book?
- What kind of lines do you see in Ralph Nelson’s painting?
- Use your finger to draw the following lines in the air, on the table, or on the floor?
- Straight line
- Curvy or wavy line
- Zigzag line
- Curly line
- Can you draw other lines with your finger?
- Now let’s draw some lines on paper.
- Crayons, markers, or colored pencils
Lines can go in different directions. They can go side to side, which is called horizontal. They can go up and down, which is called vertical. They can go on an angle, which is called diagonal. Lines can be thick or thin, depending on what the artist is using to create the line.
- Choose one color for each line that you draw.
- Experiment drawing lines on your paper going in different directions. (It’s ok if they overlap.)
- See how many different kinds of lines you can draw. Have fun!