Walter Pach (07/11/1883-11/27/1958) would go out with his father on photo assignments.. He worked for his father's photography firm during the summers while he was attending the City College of New York, but never had a desire to become a photographer himself. In 1903 and enrolled in the New York School of Art, which he remained associated with on and off for the next seven years. Here he was encouraged to paint life sized figures spontaneously and with a heavily loaded brush. He eventually pulled away from the instructors at the school to form his own style. He liked smaller canvases, and he liked to work on them until they "reached saturation." Pach continued to develop his own style while visiting Europe several times in the early 1900s. In 1905 he had his first exhibition success, and the next year he had a piece accepted by the National Academy of Design. During the Armory Show of 1913, Pach played a key role in setting up everything, thanks to his incredible knowledge of art history, the language, and important contacts. In 1922, he and his wife traveled to Mexico where Pach gave lectures similar to those he had given at the University of California at Berkeley in 1918. In the summer of 1926, Pach was in charge of the New York University's summer school at the Louvre. In 1936 Pach became a member of the advisory board of New York's American Artists School. During the spring of 1940 he held his first one man exhibition in a decade at the Schneider-Gabriel Galleries in Manhattan. Pach's paintings and etchings can be found in the permanent collections of the Sheldon Swope Art Museum (IN), the Phillips Collection (DC), the Museum of Art and Archaeology (MO), the Brooklyn Museum, and the Columbus Museum (OH). He died in 1958.
Other works by: Walter Pach